Sunday, January 24, 2010

Thai Sweet Potato Custard

We harvested sweet potatoes from the garden a few weeks ago and they've just been sitting around. I finally boiled half of them and mashed them up for some sweet potato recipes. I needed to prepare something for a group, so I decided on this Thai Sweet Potato Custard recipe. However, I should have known looking at the ingredient ratios that it would be WAY too sweet for my taste. So I'm declaring this one a disaster. I also read the recipe wrong and put in 1 1/4 c of everything...which means 1/4 c too much coconut milk.
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 c coconut milk
  • 1 1/4 c sugar
  • 1 1/4 c sweet potato, cooked and mashed
  1. Grease an 8" square pan. Preheat oven to 205C/400F.
  2. In a medium saucepan beat the eggs with a fork.
  3. Stir in the coconut milk.
  4. Mix in the sugar.
  5. Add the sweet potatoes and stir well.
  6. Cook over med heat and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 4 minutes, until sugar is dissolved and mixture thickens slightly.
  7. Pour the custard through a sieve into the greased pan (to get rid of the stringy bits).
  8. Bake for 40 min or until golden brown and puffed.
  9. Cool to room temperature.
Notes
  • This was way too sweet. The sugar overpowered the taste of the sweet potatoes and the coconut. In the future, cut it to half or less.
  • I boiled the sweet potatoes but to retain better flavor, they should be roasted.

No comments: