Thursday, January 21, 2010

Belgian Jwaffles

What makes a waffle Belgian? Well, from a brief survey of recipes out there, it's either the yeast, the beaten egg whites, or a combination of both. I tried a recipe using yeast and it is MUCH airier than the previous ones I tried with either powder or beaten egg whites. I used this one from King Arthur Flour as a basis, which was very easy to put together. I waited an hour and made a batch and then put the rest of the batter in the fridge. I'll see how tomorrow morning's goes.
  • 1.5 c milk
  • 2-5 T butter
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 1/2 T sugar
  • 3/4 t salt
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1.5 t yeast
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 c flour
  1. Heat the milk in a small pan until very hot. Transfer to large bowl.
  2. Add butter, sugars, salt and vanilla. Stir until butter is melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
  3. Add the yeast and let dissolve.
  4. Stir in eggs and flour. OK to leave lumpy.
  5. Cover in plastic wrap and let sit for one hour.
  6. Either cook right away in a jaffle iron (or a waffle iron) until steam ceases or refrigerate over night.
  7. Serve with fresh fruit or freeze for later consumption.
Variations
  • Instead of sugar, use maple syrup, honey, molasses or a combination thereof.
  • Stuff with fruit.
  • amount of butter: the less you have the more it will stick to the pan. 5 T means the jwaffles slip out easily. 2 T means you may need to pry them out a bit.

Notes
I chose the King Arthur recipe for its use of yeast, minimal flour (2 c) and number of eggs. These other recipes also looked interesting:
Creative Kitchen
- Classic Belgian (top) - 3 eggs, 3 c flour
- Good Night Waffle (bottom) - 2 eggs, 2 c flour, baking soda, overnight
All Recipes - Belgian Waffle - 3 eggs, 4 c flour

Quote
A watched jwaffle never browns.

Miscellaneous
The whole waffle in a jaffle iron thing started with the question, Will it Jaffle? I was afraid I'd ruin my boyfriend's newly purchased machine, as a search of the internet ONLY has recipes for sandwiches and sandwich like things. However, our jaffle iron seems very robust and very much like a waffle iron, albeit with a different shape. And now I've discovered another site answering the question, Will it Waffle? I think some of those recipes can be tweaked for the jaffle iron. I'm looking forward to trying!

No comments: