For the meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or mix of lamb, pork, beef)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3-4 cl garlic, finely chopped
- 1 t dried mixed herbs OR oregano
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c breadcrumbs
- optional: 1 T parmesan
For the sauce
- 4 cl garlic, chopped
- 2 T tomato paste
- 28* oz can chopped/crushed tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- black pepper
- optional: bay leaf, basil, parsley
- Put all the meatball ingredients into a bowl and combine using your hands.
- Shape into golf ball size. Ideally refrigerate about an hour to firm up.
- Heat oil (optional) in frying pan and add the meatballs. Fry gently until they are browned all over, turning as needed.
- Lift out of pan with slotted spoon (to drain off oil) and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add the garlic, stirring for a couple minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, then add tomatoes, HALF the basil, and black pepper.
- Stir well and bring to a boil. Return meatballs to the pan, cover, and simmer for 10-15 min until the sauce has thickened and the meatballs are cooked through (test by cutting one in half).
- Serve warm with pasta, rice or couscous, with remaining basil sprinkled on top
Bake the meatballs for 15-25 min (depending on size) at 350F.
Freeze half the meatballs to cook later.