Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Plaistowe Fudge Brownies

I got some of this "Rich Dark" cooking chocolate from Australia -- and just didn't know what to do with it. It must have come from a box, because the ingredients aren't listed on the packaging. So I didn't know if I should treat it like a bitter chocolate, a dark chocolate, a semisweet chocolate, or something else altogether. So I went to the Nestle site and tried one of their recipes. Result: disgusting. Well, at least in my opinion - but others seemed to like it ok. However, I won't be making it again. I just wanted to make record of it here. I'd much rather use other recipes with a chocolate I know or just cocoa. I modified the recipe to use just the one bar of chocolate (200 g).
  • 200 g Plaistowe Rich Dark Cooking Chocolate
  • 125 g butter, unsalted
  • 3/4 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 c flour
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1/2 c walnuts, chopped
  • 75 g butter
  1. Divide chocolate. Melt 125 g chocolate with 125 g butter in a medium saucepan. Melt over low heat, stirring constantly.
  2. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla and walnuts.
  3. Spread in greased, foil-lined 8x8 baking dish.
  4. Bake at 180C for 25 min. Cool in pan.
  5. While the brownie is cooling, melt remaining 75 g chocolate with 75 g butter in a small sauce pan over low heat, stirring.
  6. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until slightly thickened.
  7. Spread frosting over brownies. Cut into squares to serve.
Notes
I would make Cocoa Brownies or the bitter chocolate-cocoa combo Brownies instead of this.

No comments: