- defrosted or mostly defrosted chicken (drumsticks or thighs, with skin and bone, but can be done with boneless/skinless as well)
- spices: turmeric/ginger/paprika, ginger/chili/coriander/black pepper/soy sauce/sugar
- In pan, heat chicken until only lightly browned. Flip and repeat. Note: not all sides need to be browned, and it doesn't have to be very brown.
- Sprinkle generous amount of salt on the chicken - more than you think you'd like to eat.
- Pour in water until less than half-way up the chicken.
- Sprinkle all desired spices on the chicken. Pour in soy sauce if using (1-2 T max).
- Cover and simmer for 10-20 min.
- Flip and continue to simmer covered for another 20-40 min or until desired tenderness. The longer it's cooked, the more it will fall off the bone.
- Serve with rice and vegetables. NOTE: Vegetables can be steam/sauted with some of the chicken sauce.
- Refrigerate leftovers - sauce will gel. Sauce can also be used to make Chinese brown eggs.
This method can be used for pork and beef. Pork ribs and beef ribs may take 3-4.5 hours.