9/6/13 Finally return of cooler weather allowed me to use the slow cooker again. Made this tonight for dinner, excluding onions and salt. Used a mix of 2 kinds of green dahl. Increased garlic to 5 cloves and also added cumin and curry powder. Used no-salt chicken broth. Cooked on high for 5 hours - meat was not falling off bone like last time, but was cooked through. Served with baguettes.
Nov 2015 - Made this again with a giant smoked ham hock and only 4 c of beef broth, no onion, plus added cumin and curry powder. Was the best one according to MM.
- 2 1/4 c dried green dahl, rinsed (16 oz)
- 2 pork hocks (the small kind)
- 2 carrots, chopped (~1 c)
- 1/2 onion, chopped (less than 1 c)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped (incl leaves if there are any)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- handful chopped fresh parsley (1/4 c)
- 6 c chicken broth
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given. Do not stir.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours (or high 4-5 hours), until meat falls off bone (or until peas are very soft).
- Take out bay leaf and hocks. Pull of meat from bones and add back to pot.
- Optional: add salt and pepper.
- Substitute 2 cups meat for the pork hocks, such as sauteed chicken sausage, ham, diced smoked turkey
- Add a small diced potato.
- Add rosemary.
Split Pea Soup I - vegetarian, with cloves, curry powder, cumin and brown sugar