2 c water
1 c quinoa
3 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c lemon juice
3 green onion stalks, minced
1/4 c fresh mint, minced
1 T cilantro, minced
3 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
1 cucumber, finely chopped
(missing: 1/4 c pine nuts, 1/2 c parsley)
*1/4 t paprika
*1/4 t cayenne
- Rinse quinoa well first so it won't be bitter. Bring water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook 15-20 minutes, until water is absorbed and kernels are soft.
- Combine oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Mix with quinoa.
- Add greens and veggies. Mix well. Chill.
- Serve with bread or over mixed greens.
- As mentioned above, use cous cous or bulghur wheat for the base.
- 5/29/10 Used millet instead of quinoa, cherry tomatoes instead of roma.
In large pan, toast millet on high heat. Stir constantly for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and millet starts to pop. If heat is too high remove to cool. Add boiling water, cover and simmer until water is absorbed (15-25 min). Let stand 5 minutes with cover on. Immediately fluff with fork. [If not toasting, then rinse well first.]
- 6/10/12 Used 1 box couscous cooked with mixture of boiled water combined with lemon zest, parsley stems, pinch cayenne, olive oil and salt. Add ins were regular tomatoes, english cucumber, toasted pine nuts, lemon juice, and minced parsley.
- 6/9/13 Used 1 box of couscous cooked with 2+ c water, lemon zest, coriander stems, 1/4 t cayenne, olive oil. Add ins were cherry tomatoes, cucumber, salted sunflower seeds, lemon juice, coriander, cayenne, paprika, garlic, salt. ****