I researched different pizza dough recipes and combined them to make the perfect one for my taste. It makes a medium sized crust that's a bit crisp on the outside, soft in the middle, without being too chewy or too crunchy.
- 1-1.5 c very warm water
- 1 T milk
- 1 T sugar
- 1 pkg yeast
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 t salt
- 3-4 c flour
- pepper, parmesan, oregano (optional, for taste)
- Combine the water and milk and dissolve the sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the mixture and stir gently until it dissolves (about 1 min). Let stand until a thin layer of foam covers the surface (about 5 min).
- Add the olive oil, salt and any optional ingredients. Gradually add flour, mixing with a wooden spoon, until a soft ball forms. Knead until smooth (about 10 min). Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm, moist place until doubled (1-1.5 hours).
- Punch down the dough. Shape into a ball. Divide in half. Let rest for a couple minutes.
- Shape each piece, handling minimally. Place on 2 lightly oiled cookie shoots. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Pre-bake in a 450 degree oven for 3 minutes. This step is optional but ensures the dough will be thoroughly cooked and rises it a bit before you layer on the ingredients.
- Add toppings of choice. (see below for more information)
- Bake at 450 degrees until cheese and crust are golden brown (about 15-25 minutes).
- pizza sauce, tomato sauce, pesto
- Shredded mozzarella, Parmesan, ricotta, feta
- Sliced mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, onions, spinach, broccoli, roasted garlic, eggplant
- Sliced tomatoes, pineapple
- Pepperoni, sausage, cooked ground beef, ham, chicken, smoked salmon
- Pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder
Dessert Pizza Toppings
Also consider making a sweet pizza for dessert instead. Remember - anything goes!
- Apples, pears, bananas, raisins
- Almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts
- Cinnamon, nutmeg
- Cream cheese
- If you have extra dough, pat it down and turn it into focaccia bread. Top with a combination of onions, rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic, etc.
Herb Pizza Crust
March 2016. Based on 300 Best Canadian Bread Machine Recipes. Makes 2 smaller 12" pizzas. Bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes.
- 1 c water
- 2 T milk
- 1 t salt
- 1 T sugar
- 2.75 c flour
- 1 t basil
- 1 t oregano
- 1.25 t yeast