Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

#1 Easy Version

I found 4 frozen yogurt recipes I want to try, and this is the first. I made this tonight because it was already quite late and I wanted something where I could just dump the ingredients in and have a pot. I think the quality of yogurt makes a big difference here. I went to Wellcome and bought the one that says "soft yogurt", that comes in a 3 cup package. It's quite sweet already so I shouldn't have added as much sugar as I did.
  • 1.5 c strawberries, frozen or thawed
  • 1 c yogurt
  • 1/6 c sugar (or less if yogurt is already very sweet)
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  1. Blend all four ingredients.
  2. Pour into ice cream maker and crank continuously until desired consistency.
  3. Serve immediately! Freeze remainder.
Variations
Add 1/4 c mini choc chips 5 minutes before done.

Notes
Pictured are the Strawberry Sorbet and froyo, in a side by side taste test. Both of these were winners! Two different textures, two great tastes. Both were equally too sweet - so next time taste the yogurt first...or even the puree w/o any added sugar and then add sugar as necessary.

#2 Chunky Version
I made the batter and chilled it for an hour. It wasn't long enough - it stayed as soup in the ice cream maker. So I let it sit overnight and finished it off the next day. Since it's starting from fridge temp and not near-freezing, it takes a lot longer than the Easy version. But it's worth the wait if you can plan that far ahead. The chunky strawberries in this were delicious.
  • 1.5 c strawberries
  • 1.5 T lemon juice
  • 1/3 c sugar (or to taste)
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 1/4 c milk
  • 3/4 c yogurt
  1. In a small saucepan, use a potato masher to mix the strawberries, lemon juice, sugar and salt over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. 
  2. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
  3. Stir in milk and yogurt. Chill for at least one hour (but better overnight).
  4. Finish off in ice cream maker, churning for 20 minutes.
Notes
3/21/10 I used 1/2 cup of the Soft Yogurt (already sweetened) and 1/4 cup of Tanini brand plain yogurt.

No comments: