Sunday, December 13, 2009

Creamy Sweet Potato-Carrot Soup

I used the Carrot Soup recipe as a basis but then used the ingredients I had on hand and the spice combination I wanted to try. I ended up with a delicious soup that was reminiscent of pumpkin pie. I probably put in a bit too much cloves and cinnamon. But it was still delicious.
  • 1 massive sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 2 massive carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 small potato, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 cups water
  • bouillon cubes
  • cinnamon, cloves
  • ground cumin
  • black pepper
  • crushed red pepper
  • 4 T crushed red pepper
  • 1-2 c milk
  1. Melt the butter in a stock pot.
  2. Add the onions and fry until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
  3. Add the garlic and spices. I used about 2 t cumin, healthy dash of crushed red pepper, several shakes of strong cinnamon, and a couple dashes of cloves. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
  4. Add the potatoes and carrots. Stir.
  5. Pour in water and bouillon cubes. I used chicken stock.
  6. Bring to boil. Lower to simmer, until potatoes are cooked, about 20-30 minutes.
  7. Turn off heat. Reserve 2 cups of solids. Puree the rest.
  8. Add milk to make desired consistency. (Soup may be reheated, but do not boil.)
  9. Grate black pepper on top.

No comments: