Saturday, December 5, 2009

Baked Custard

When I was growing up I often made custard with my mom. It was an incredibly simple recipe and my favorite part was sprinkling the nutmeg on top and watching it spread. I looked up several recipes and went with this one. However, it didn't really turn out right - which may be more my oven's fault, but then again could be a ratio difference. I prefer a deeper custard and a firmer consistency.
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 c milk
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  • 2 T sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • nutmeg
  1. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl.
  2. Add the milk, vanilla, sugar and salt. Stir.
  3. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg (amount depends on strength of your nutmeg).
  4. Bake 325F/165C for 50-60 min. You may need to rotate the dish part way to ensure even baking (such as in a mini-oven).
  5. Cool.
  6. Refrigerate.

No comments: