- Beat the eggs, sugar and salt together until well combined, about 1 min.
- Pour the hot milk in slowly, mixing constantly.
- Add the vanilla.
- Pour the custard through a sieve into 2 custard cups.
- Sprinkle the surface with nutmeg.
- Places the cups in an 8x8 dish and pour boiling water to halfway up their sides.
- Bake at 180C until edges are firm. (Recipe calls for 25-30 min, but mine took 50 min).
- Immediately remove from water bath and place on rack to cool.
Saturday, February 6, 2010
This recipe is based on one from one of my favorite cookbooks, Going Solo in the Kitchen. The book is catered to those cooking for one - so has smaller amounts for just one or two people. This one came out closer to how I remember making it as a kid - though I think my ramekins are a bit bigger than what the recipe calls for, so mine ended up shallower. May need to double or 1.5x the recipe for next time.