Thursday, June 25, 2020

Chilled Braised Bamboo

I love the texture of bamboo. I enjoy them chilled as a side dish or in a thai curry. I feel like I could eat 2 cups of it one sitting. I've avoided cooking it for a long time because the canned stuff has such a weird taste that even boiling doesn't get rid of it. But I recently found a source shrink wrapped instead of canned and it doesn't suffer from the weird taste problem. But now I need to find the perfect marinade/braising technique for making it Chinese style. This was my first attempt and good enough to enjoy, but I think it could still use improving. I can't find dark soy sauce anywhere so perhaps this was the missing ingredient.
  • 2 t minced garlic
  • 1 T olive oil
  • bamboo, sliced thin and cut into rectangles
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • [didn't use: 1 t dark soy sauce]
  • 1 t sugar
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 200 ml water
  • 1 t sesame oil
  1. Heat oil in pan and add garlic. Stir and saute for 2-3 min until lightly browned.
  2. Add the bamboo and stir.
  3. Add the soy sauces, sugar and salt. Cook for another 3 min.
  4. Add the water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer for 20 min.
  5. Stir in the sesame oil for 1 minute.
  6. Remove from heat and transfer to bowl to cool. Refrigerate and serve chilled. In a rush, eat warm instead.

Recipe #2

  • 2 c water
  • 1/2 c teriyaki marinade
  • 1/4 c sake
  • 1 T soy sauce
  • 2 T dry sherry
  • 1 dry shitaake mushroom

No comments: