Sunday, May 5, 2019

Dogs in a Blanket

I used to love hot dogs as a kid. There was a stage where cheese filled ones were my favorite. Then one day I had a giant hot dog and found a vein inside and it grossed me out. I have not enjoyed hot dogs since. However, DBD has recently found a love for them and so I gave in and cooked these up with a homemade 'blanket' as we didn't have any buns (and I also remember a childhood love of pigs in a blanket, which I'd only had a few times). The kids helped stretch their dough and wrap their own dogs. With the leftover dough we made fun shapes and salted them for a snack. Kids each ate ~2 (one didn't eat bread of second, one didn't finish half a dog of second) and there was one leftover for a packed lunch. Only 2 stars because it's still just a hot dog, but it was a fun dough activity.

  • 6 hot dogs
  • 1 c warm water
  • 2 T sugar
  • 2 T oil
  • 2.5-3 c flour
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 T milk
  1. Combine dough ingredients in bread machine and set to dough cycle. Wait 1.5 hours.
  2. Remove dough and pat down on floured surface. Divide in 12 pieces.
  3. With half the dough, roll each piece to 8-14" long piece and twist around hot dog. 
  4. Mix egg with milk and brush dough with mixture.
  5. Bake on sheet at 400F for 15 min, until bread is browned.
  6. Use remaining half of dough to make shapes (ball, pretzel, breadstick, etc) and brush with egg-milk. Sprinkle with salt. Bake 15-20 min, until done.

No comments: