The grapefruit flavor was a little too strong for me though MM liked it. I would reduce the amount next time. I used Tropicana but you could use freshly squeezed as well. Risotto is typically made with wine but using juice instead makes this version Halal!
- ~8 cups broth (7-9 cups, depending on rice)
- 4 T butter, divided
- bag of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 crown of broccoli, separated into small flowerets/cubed trunk
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/3 c grapefruit juice (** would only use 1/2 c next time), warmed in microwave
- 2 c Arborio rice
- 3/4 c frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 c grated parmesan (fresh is better)
- optional: salt and pepper
- In saucepan, bring broth to simmer.
- In small pan, blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and remove to bowl.
- In large saucepan, melt 2 T butter. Add mushrooms and cook until done. [Lightly salt to speed up cooking.] Remove to bowl (with liquid).
- Melt the remaining 2 T butter and add the olive oil.
- Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Add the warmed grapefruit juice and stir constantly until fully absorbed.
- Add in half a cup of the broth, stirring constantly until fully absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup. Keep adding broth until rice is mostly cooked.
- Add in broccoli. Continue adding 1/2 cups of broth. Add in peas and mushrooms. Continue adding 1/2 cups of broth, reserving 1/4 c broth for final use.
- When rice is fully cooked, remove from heat. Add in 1/4 c broth and parmesan. Stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Garnish with fresh grapefruit slices and/or parsley.
5/15/2011 Mushroom Risotto