- 1 T yeast
- 4.5 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 t cardamom
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c butter, softened
- 1 c milk
- Use bread machine to make dough on the dough cycle (This can be done overnight).
- Remove and knead several times on floured surface. Cut in half.
- Divide one half into 5 pieces.
- Peel apples, quarter and then core. Cut each quarter into 4 pieces.
- Sprinkle with lots of cinnamon. Add allspice, nutmeg and ginger to taste. Add a dash of salt. Optional: Add a half teaspoon of sugar.
- Shape dough piece into circle. Place 3-5 slices of apple on half. Fold over and seal.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake 25 minutes at 175C.
- Shape dough into rectangle.
- Spread softened butter over all or sections of surface.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and raisins.
- Chop remaining apple slices from above. Spread evenly on dough.
- Roll from short side. Place seam side down in lightly greased bread pan.
- Let rise until 1.5-2x, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake 175C for 30 minutes.
** I thought the dough was a little too sweet, and the apple filling didn't need any additional sugar. The bread was a little too airy for my liking. The turnovers were tasty and filling, but next time I'd like more filling and less bread.