Thursday, April 9, 2009

Brunette Brownies

My best friend from elementary school once sent me a recipe for blonde brownies. That hand written recipe is lost somewhere so I looked up another recipe on allrecipes. I renamed these to brunette brownies since the brown sugar makes them brown instead of yellow/blonde. Here is the modified version.
  • 1 c flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/8 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 c chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 c butter, softened
  • 3/4 c brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t vanilla (original is 1 T and this is overpowering)
  • 3/4 c semisweet chocolate chips, split
  1. Mix flour, powder, soda and salt in medium sized bowl. Stir in nuts.
  2. Cream butter and brown sugar.
  3. Add egg and vanilla. Mix well.
  4. Add flour mixture, a little at a time.
  5. Stir in 1/2 c chocolate chips.
  6. Spread in 8x8 glass baking dish. Top with remaining 1/4 c chocolate chips.
  7. Bake 30 min.
Review
** - the original 1 T of vanilla was too much. If I were to make this again, I'd reduce it to 1 t. I had a chocolate craving so made this in a pinch. I guess I still prefer regular brownies but don't often have the ingredients for it. I might try less sugar and maybe a mix of white and brown to lighten the color.

No comments: