Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Angel Food Cupcakes

I've been craving angel food cake for a while but I don't have the pan to cook it (nor a reliable oven). I had a bunch of leftover egg whites from making a double batch of empanadas and found a recipe for angel food cupcakes. However, they turned out terrible. My egg whites might not have been enough or improperly whipped, since it only made 4 cupcakes instead of 6 and they turned out incredibly dense. If I ever have leftover whites again I would still want to give it a another try. I also tried using my new food processor to do the whites. It was quite handy, but it was hard to scrape it all out. So perhaps a hand mixer in a bowl would be a better choice. I also didn't have bleached flour.

  • 1/4 c flour, bleached
  • 1.5 t cornstarch (to ensure tender crumb)
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/4 t cream of tartar (to stabilize whites)
  • 5 T sugar
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place 6 paper liners in a muffin tin. Do NOT grease.
  2. In a medium bowl sift the flour, cornstarch and salt. Sift into another bowl back and forth for a total of 3 siftings. 
  3. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy (~30 sec). Add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form (~2 min). Slowly stream the sugar, 1 T at a time, while beating. The mixture should be bright white and glossy. Add the vanilla and beat to combine.
  4. Add the flour mixture to the whites and fold together. 
  5. Divide the batter into 6 liners. The filling should go to the top of each liner. 
  6. Bake for 17-19 min, until the tops are slightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean
  7. Let cool completely in the pan before moving to a wire rack.

No comments: