Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Brown Eggs

I grew up helping my mom peel eggs to make this dish but I never paid attention to how she made the broth. Even as an adult she would make it for me when she visited. Because of the pandemic visits have come to a halt. So since I made beef shanks I used the broth to make the eggs for the first time in my life. Now that the BDs like hard boiled eggs, they enjoy these too.
Jan '23 XBD loves this dish.

  1. Add eggs to pot in single layer. Add cold water
    1. Gas stove: bring to boil
    2. Induction stove: use power mode to bring to boil and then continue to boil at reduced heat for 3 min
  2. Cover pot and turn off heat. Wait 7 minutes (up to 9 for gas stove, and depending on size of eggs).
  3. Immediately drain to prevent further cooking (which leads to stinky, green layer on yolk) and run cold tap water over the eggs. Let cool in cold water bath (optionally with ice cubes).
  4. Once cooled, peel the eggs. Place each egg in broth.
  5. Soak overnight in fridge. They will get darker and soak up more broth the longer they sit.
  6. Enjoy as snack, sliced or as accompaniment to a noodle soup or rice dish.

No comments: