- 1 c red lentils, rinsed
- 2 c water
- 3/4 c grated cheese (I used cheddar blend)
- 1 egg, beaten [better with 2 eggs]
- 1/2 c breadcrumbs [or dried coconut]
- 1 t herbs (whatever you have. I used oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, ...)
- black pepper
- Put lentils and water in small pot. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15 min, occasionally skimming off froth as needed.
- DRAIN and place in large bowl.
- Add cheese, breadcrumbs, spices and egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread in greased 9" cake pan.
- Bake 375 for 30 min.
- Serve warm or cold.
Have made this many times since, including:
- Indian style: using cumin, turmeric, chili, curry powder.
- Used dried coconut instead of bread crumbs to make it gluten-free
- Forgetting to drain the lentils - very moist (better to drain it)
- Double the egg
- Less cheese, different cheeses (cheddar, mozzarella, etc)
- Add grated carrot
Adults eat it up - especially those from Oz.