Thursday, April 8, 2010

Black Sesame (Cocoa) Muffins

Elisa bought a massive bag of powdered black sesame and shared it with me. So I gave a go at some black sesame muffins. I wasn't sure how they'd turn out, so I split the batter and added cocoa to half. I really like how the black sesame muffins look - browned on the outside, like a normal muffin, but they are white with black specks on the inside. The cocoa overpowers the black sesame as well as covers up the speckled design. I might try adding vanilla or almond extract next time. Or maybe a filling of black sesame paste in the middle to give it a little extra oomph in the flavor department.
  •  1.5 c flour
  • 1/2 c black sesame powder
  • 1/3 c sugar
  • 3 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t salt
  • optional: up to 1/4 c cocoa 
  • 3/4 c yogurt
  • 4 T butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • [next time: vanilla or almond extract]
  • optional: milk
  1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just mixed. If too thick, add a little milk.
  4. Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups and bake for 20 min at 200C.

    Notes
    I split the dry ingredients in half and added 1/4 c cocoa to one half. This was a bit much so next time only 1/8 c (or 1/4 c for the whole batch). The batter was too thick. I left the plain black sesame as was but milked down the cocoa ones by a few T. The cocoa ones rose better than the black sesame. I used some old Ticino yogurt (plain, solid). CT couldn't taste the black sesame.

    No comments: