Saturday, June 20, 2009

Chocolate Mousse

One of my favorite desserts of all time. I learned to make this in 7th grade but have since lost that recipe. I only remember that it did not use cream. Since then I've searched and it's hard to come up with something as good, or perhaps my memory is only of an ideal. In any case, I found this in some old filed away place with a note that I'd made it in 2001, but no notes on how it turned out. So I gave it another go. This time I doubled the recipe (original portions below), and it came out quite sweet. If I were to do it again, I might do a mix of semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolate. Warning: Contains raw egg - not good for pregnant women.
12/28/15 Made this again, and again served it to a pregnant woman! Still delicious though.
  • 6 oz semisweet chocolate
  • 2-3 T water
  • 1 T butter
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  1. Melt the chocolate and water in a microwave according to directions. (Place in large bowl and microwave for 1m30 at 50%. Stir. Continue microwaving at 15-30 second intervals, stirring each time. Mixture should be thick and creamy.
  2. Stir in the butter and vanilla.
  3. Separate the eggs, putting the whites into a bowl and dropping the yolks, one at a time, into the chocolate mixture, stirring well after each addition.
  4. Beat the egg whites until they hold a soft peak. Fold 1/4 into the chocolate. Fold in the remaining whites.
  5. Pour into serving containers or into single large bowl. Chill overnight.
Variations
  • Use rum instead of vanilla.
  • Use black coffee instead of water.
  • Top with whipped cream.
  • Serve with raspberries, blackberries or strawberries.
  • Use as filling inside crepes.
  • Spread between layers of cake.

No comments: